Learn how to add a new file type to be indexed by Windows 7’s search engine.
Add an Extension to Be Indexed
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Indexing Options is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Click the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
- Select the File Types tab in the Advanced Options window.
- Type the new file extension (.xyz for example) in the box at the bottom of the Advanced Options window and then click Add new extension to save it.
- Click OK in the Advanced Options window.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.