Learn how to adjust User Account Control’s (UAC) options in Windows 7.
- Type uac in the Start Menu’s search box and then press Enter on the keyboard.
- Slide the UAC slider up or down to adjust how aggressive you want User Account Control to be.
- Click OK when you’re done to save the changes.
User Account Control Levels Explained
- Always notify: The highest level of protection User Account Control provides. It prompts you for every time software is installed, settings changed, or windows configuration changed.
- Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer: The default level of User Account Control. It prompts you every time software is installed or a configuration change is made. It does not prompt you when a user makes changes to Windows settings.
- Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer: The lowest User Account Control level without turning it off. This level is almost the same as the level above. The differences are it doesn’t invoke the secure desktop (dark background) when a UAC prompt appears, and when a UAC prompt appears you can still do other things.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.