Learn how to back up stored user names and passwords for network locations, certificate-based credentials, and website logons in Windows 7.
Back Up Stored User Names and Passwords
- Open the Control Panel from the Start Menu.
- Open User Accounts in the Control Panel.
Note: If User Accounts is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Select Manage your credentials at the top of the left column in the User Accounts window.
- Select Back up vault in the Credential Manager window.
- Click Browse to pick a location to save the backup file.
- Browse to the location you want to save the backup file to in the left column of the save as box, give the backup file a name in the File name box, and then click Save.
- Click Next to save the backup.
- Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE on your keyboard to start the process of saving the backup file.
Note: Pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE will enable a secure desktop that guarantees security.
- The backup file will need to be protected by a password so that no one else can get a hold of your passwords. Type the password twice and then click Next.
- Click Finish and you’re done!
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.