Learn how to change Windows 7’s search engine index location.
Move the Search Index
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Indexing Options is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Click the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
- Click the Select new button in the Index location section of the Advanced Options window.
- Browse to the new location of the search index by clicking the folders to expand them and then click OK to save the changes.
- Click OK in the Advanced Options window.
- Restart the Windows Search Service or just restart your computer.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.