Learn how choose which file types Windows 7’s search engine will or will not index.
Choose Which File Types to Index
- Open the Control Panel in the Start menu.
- Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Indexing Options is not present, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Click the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
- Click the File Types tab in the Advanced Options window.
- Check off any file extension to index it and uncheck any file extension to exclude it from the search index.
- Click OK in the Advanced Options window to save the settings.
- Click OK to re-build the index.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.