Learn how to create a file encryption certificate and key in Windows 7.
Create File Encryption Certificate and Key
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open User Accounts in the Control Panel.
Note: If the User Accounts item is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Select Manage your file encryption certificates in the left column of the User Accounts window.
- Click Next in the Encrypting File System window.
- Select Create a new certificate and then click Next.
- Select A self-signed certificate stored on my computer and then click Next.
- Now that the certificate and key are made it’s a VERY GOOD IDEA TO BACK IT UP. If you don’t back up the certificate and key you might lose access to your encrypted files. Browse to a location to save the backup, give the backup file a password, and then click Next.
- Click Next since you probably don’t already have any encrypted files.
- Click Close and you’re done!
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.