Learn how to turn off or change the critical stop system sound in Windows 7.
The Critical Stop system sound plays when a program or service crashes.
- Type system sounds in the Start Menu’s search box.
- Select Change system sounds in the search results.
- Select Critical Stop in the Windows section under Program Events.
- To disable it: choose none in the drop-down list under Sounds
To change it: choose a different sound in the drop-down list under Sounds or click the Browse button and browse for a sound file from any of the the other sound schemes or of your own.
- Click the OK button to save the changes.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.