Learn how to stop Windows Defender from scanning certain file types in Windows 7.
Exclude File Extensions
- Open Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open Windows Defender in the Control Panel.
Note: If Windows Defender is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Select Tools at the top of the Windows Defender window.
- Select Options in the settings section of Windows Defender.
- Select Exclude file types.
- Type the file extension (.PNG in this example) and then click the Add button.
- Click Save to save the changes.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.