Learn where to download and how to install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).
Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7
- For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
- 140 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser: Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
- Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
Install Microsoft Security Essentials
- Download Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft.
- When MSE has finished downloading choose to run it.
- Click Yes when prompted by user account control.
- Select Next in the welcome screen.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Select Validate to let MSE validate that your copy of Windows is genuine.
- Select Install to start the install process.
- When MSE has finished installing itself, leave Scan my computer… checked and then click Finish.
- MSE will download virus and spyware definitions and then perform a quick scan for viruses and spyware.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.