Learn how to stop Windows 7’s search engine from indexing a certain file type.
Exclude a File Type from Windows 7’s Search Index
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Indexing Options is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Click the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
- Select the File Types tab in the Advanced Options window.
- Search for the file type’s extension (.xyz for example) and uncheck it.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Click OK to re-build the index so that the search engine can exclude the file types you excluded.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.