Learn how to set how notification area icons behave in Windows 7’s taskbar.
The notification area is located on the right side of Windows 7’s taskbar (next to the time). It contains small icons that provide status and notifications about things like Windows Updates, incoming e-mail, or network connectivity. Installed programs also may add notification icons that add functionality to it.
Notification icons can be set to behave different ways:
- Show icon and notifications: The notification icon will always be shown. Notifications will appear as well.
- Hide icon and notifications: The notification icon and its notifications will always be hidden.
- Only show notifications: The notification icon will only be shown when it has a notification.
Set a Notification Icon’s Behavior
- Right-click an empty space on the taskbar (the bar with the Start Orb and clock) and then click Properties.
- Click the Customize button in the Notification area section of the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window.
- Change the behavior of the taskbar notification icon(s) and then click OK to save the settings.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.