Learn how to set up Windows 7’s search engine to index encrypted files.
Index Encrypted Files
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Indexing Options isn’t available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
- Check off Index encrypted files in the File Settings section.
- If the entire volume (your hard drive or a partition) isn’t encrypted using full volume encryption (such as BitLocker) you’ll get a warning against indexing encrypted files.
Indexing encrypted files on a volume that’s not protected by full volume encryption is a security risk and is not advised. If you still want to index encrypted files, click Continue in the warning box.
- Click OK in the Advanced Options window to save the settings.
The index will have to be re-indexed. This will happen automatically when your computer is idle.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.