Learn how to set Windows 7 to not turn off the hard drive(s) after the computer is idle for a set amount of time.
Set Windows 7 to Not Turn Off HDD(s) when Idle
- Open the Control Panel in the Start menu.
- Open Power Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Power Options is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Click Change plan settings next to the power plan you want to edit.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable to unlock the advanced power settings.
- Set Turn off hard disk after under Hard disk to a high number of minutes of inactivity (like 999999) and then click OK to save the changes.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.