Learn how to set Windows 7 to turn off the hard drive(s) after the computer is idle for a set amount of time.
Set Windows 7 to Turn Off HDD(s) when Idle
- Open the Control Panel in the Start menu.
- Open Power Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Power Options is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Click Change plan settings next to the power plan you want to edit.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable to unlock the advanced power settings.
- Set Turn off hard disk after under Hard disk to the number of minutes of inactivity and then click OK to save the changes.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.