Learn how to set Windows 7’s search engine to index a file types properties only.
Windows 7’s search engine has the ability to search using a file’s contents and properties or its properties only. Searching using properties only is faster but less thorough and searching using properties and contents is more thorough but a little slower.
Index a File Type’s Properties Only
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Indexing Options is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Click the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
- Select the File Types tab in the Advanced Options window.
- Search for the file’s extension in the list, select it, and then choose Index Properties Only under How should this file be indexed.
- Click OK to save the changes and close the Indexing Options window.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.