Learn how to stop Windows 7’s search engine from indexing encrypted files.
Stop Indexing Encrypted Files
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
Note: If Indexing Options isn’t available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.
- Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
- Uncheck Index encrypted files in the File Settings section.
- When indexing encrypted files is turned off the search index needs to be immediately re-built.
Click OK to re-build the index.
- Click OK in the Advanced Options window to save the settings.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.