View a complete list of performance tools available in Windows 7.
There are a lot of individual performance tools available in Windows 7, but they are scattered all over the place and hidden from non-power users. Windows 7 introduces a new feature that lists all of the available performance tools in one place.
Launch Performance Information and Tools View
- Click the Start Orb to open the Start Menu.
- Type performance info in the Start Menu’s search box and then press Enter on the keyboard.
- Click Advanced tools in the left column of the Performance Information and Tools window.
If there are any performance issues that have already been found, they’ll be listed under the Performance Issues section of the Advance Performance Information and Tools window. You should click them and find out what’s the problem.
Performance Information and Tools Description
Here are descriptions of each of the performance tools in the list:
- Windows Experience Index Score: Re-assess your system’s performance and generates a new Windows Experience Index (WEI) score. If you upgrade hardware (or even drivers in some cases) you can re-assess the computer to see what it’s new WEI is.
- Event Log Performance Details: Points you in the right direction to find any performance related data in your computer’s log files. After you click this link you might need to navigate to Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, Diagnostics Performance, and then click Operational.
- Performance Monitor: View and gather real-time performance data about your system.
- Resource Monitor: View real-time performance information information about your system.
- Task Manager: Display and stop running programs, processes, or services from running.
- System Information Advanced View: View lots of details about your computer’s hardware configuration, computer components, software, and drivers.
- Appearance Performance: Tweak the visual affects, processor and memory usage, and virtual memory settings.
- Disk Defragmenter: Defragments your hard drive which makes it a little quicker.
- System Health Report: Analyze your computer from top to bottom. It provides a very thorough report on various performance warnings and problems it’s found.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.