Set up how you want Windows Vista to install drivers when a new device is connected to your computer.
When you connect a new device to your computer Windows Vista can do one of the following:
- Automatically check for drivers
- Ask you what to do
- Do nothing
This guide shows you how to set up the default action to take when a new device is detected on your computer.
Configure Windows Driver Update Settings
- Open Control Panel in the Start menu.
- Make sure you are in the classic view of the control panel by clicking Classic view in the left sidebar of the Control Panel.
- Open System.
- Click Advanced system settings in the left side bar of the System window.
- Click the Hardware tab in the System Properties window.
- Click the Windows Update Driver Settings button.
- Choose your setting and then click OK to save the changes.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.