This guide shows you how to create a new user in Windows Vista.
Many times multiple people use the same computer. It’s a good idea to create a separate user for each person who uses the computer. The benefits of having multiple users in Windows Vista are:
- Each user can have their own personal settings tailored to them without affecting other people who use the computer.
- Your files, favorites, and sometimes software are kept separate from other users.
- If you protect your account with a password your files are not accessible to other users who don’t know your password.
- User accounts can be set as standard users restricting them from installing software and changing settings.
- Parental controls can be set on children’s accounts to restrict their usage without affecting other accounts.
Let’s Create a New User
- Open the Start Menu and click Control Panel.
- Click Manage another account.
- Click Create a new account.
- Type the new account name in the box that says New account name.
- Select a Standard or Administrative account, and then click create account.
Standard Accounts: A standard account is recommended for most users in Windows Vista. A standard user can’t perform any administrative tasks like installing software and changing settings unless they know an administrative accounts password. A standard user will be asked for an administrative accounts password when they try to do something that needs administrative rights.
Administrative Accounts: An administrative account has the ability to install software and change settings. It runs without administrative privileges just like a standard user unless it needs administrative privileges which are granted only when they are needed. This keeps your computer safer from malware.
Give Your New Account a Password
- After step 5 above you’ll be brought back to the Account Management window. Click the new account you just created or any account you want to give a password to.
- Type the new password twice in the appropriate boxes.
- You can also type an optional question that you know the answer to encase you forget your password in the password hint box.
Change Your Password Any Time
You can change your password quickly at any time by doing the following:
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL while logged in to the account you want to change the password.
- Click Change a password.
- Type the current password (old) and then type the new password twice.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.