Create a Password Reset Disk in Windows Vista to reset a user account you forgot the password for.
Windows Vista is by far the most secure version of Windows yet. That makes gaining access to an account you forgot the password for a lot harder. An easy way to prevent being locked out of you user account is to create a Password Reset Disk.
Create a Password Reset Disk
- While logged in to the account you want to create the password reset disk for open the Control panel.
- Open User Accounts.
- Insert a floppy disk (I don’t recommend using a floppy disk. They go bad too easy.) or a USB drive.
- Click Create a password reset disk in the top left of the tasks pane.
- The Forgotten Password Wizard will open. Click Next.
- Select where you want to save the password reset key.
- Type the current password and then click Next.
- When it’s finished creating the key click next.
- And you’re done!
Note: If you change your password you need to create a new password reset disk.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.