Learn how to use a computer remotely in Windows Vista using Remote Desktop Connection.
Note: All versions of Windows Vista can remote to a computer using Remote Desktop. Only Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate can be remoted to using Remote Desktop.
Remote to a Computer
- Open Remote Desktop Connection by going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then open Remote Desktop Connection.
- Enter the IP address, computer name, or domain name of the computer you want to remote to in the Computer box.
Note: If you’ve previously remoted to a computer you can select it from the drop-down list (the same box you enter the computer name in).
- Click Connect to attempt to connect to the computer remotely.
- You’ll be asked for a user name and password of a user account on the remote computer that Remote Desktop is allowed on. Fill that in and then click OK.
Note: All user accounts with administrative rights automatically allows Remote Desktop sessions.
- If everything goes well the desktop of the remote computer will show up.
Now you can use the remote computer as if you were sitting right in front of it!
When you are ready to disconnect from the remote computer, click the Start orb and then click the X in place of the shutdown button in the start menu.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.