This guide shows you how to use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer user accounts, music, pictures, videos, files, program settings, internet explorer favorites, e-mail settings, contacts, and messages from an old Windows XP computer to a new Windows Vista computer through an external hard disk (FireWire or USB hard drive) or a shared folder on a network both computer can access.
Transfer the Files from Your Old PC
- Open Windows Easy Transfer on the old computer by going to Start, All Programs, and clicking Windows Easy Transfer. You can download Windows Easy Transfer from Microsoft.
- Click Next on the Windows Easy Transfer welcome window.
- Click Use a CD, DVD, or other removable media.
- Click External hard disk or to a network location.
- Browse to the network or device location where Windows Easy Transfer will place the data, type a password to protect your data, and then click Next.
- For simplicity reasons let’s select All user accounts, files, and settings.
- Review the files and settings being transferred and then click Transfer to start the process.
- The transfer will begin.
- Click Close when the transfer is complete.
Transfer the Files to Your new PC
- Open Windows Easy Transfer on your new computer by going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click Windows Easy Transfer.
- Click Next on the Windows Easy Transfer welcome screen.
- Click Continue a transfer in progress.
- Select No, I’ve copied files and settings to a CD, DVD, or other removable media.
- Select On an external hard disk or network location.
- Browse to the location where you saved the transfer and select the backup.MIG file. Enter the password you set (if any) and then click Next.
- In order for the old data to be transferred from the old to the new computer you need to match up or create new user accounts on the new computer.
Either select an existing user account from the drop down list on the new computer (right side) or type a name to create a new user account to match each old user account to new user accounts on the new computer. The names of the user accounts don’t need to match up. Click Next when you’re finished.
- Click Transfer to start the process.
- The data will now be moved to your new computer.
- When Windows Easy Transfer has completed transferring your files, click Close, and then restart your computer.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.