Remove backed-up files that were updated or removed when you installed SP1 for Windows Vista.
When SP1 for Windows Vista updates or removes a file it backs up the old one encase the install fails or you want to uninstall SP1 at a later time.
This guide shows you how to run a Windows Vista service pack 1 disk clean-up. This will permanently remove the backed up files replaced or removed by Vista SP1.
Warning: Running the Vista SP1 disk clean-up tool permanently removes the ability to uninstall SP1. Use this tool at your own risk.
Vista SP1 Disk Clean-up
- Click the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, and click Command Prompt.
- Type vsp1cln.exe and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Another command prompt box will open with a warning about running the SP1 disk clean-up tool.
- Type y to start the clean-up.
- Wait a while and when it’s done the command prompt window will close.
Still need help? Ask your computer question now.